Senior Structural Engineer
Scope of position:
Member of OpenHydro's internal engineering design team, involving partnership and collaboration both within Engineering as well as across departments within the company. Principally responsible for the mechanical design of the marine structural components of OpenHydro's open-centre turbine (barge, subsea base, recovery frame and turbine attachment etc), requiring the individual to be creative, yet practical and commercial, as well as rigorous in their approach to design and quality standards. It is critical that the individual assuming the role is a true team-player, with an ability to pre-empt and support a broad range of tasks. Flexibility in the role is a key requirement, particularly when working to tight deadlines.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Design and development of the key marine structures and l components of OpenHydro's tidal power generation system, including the support structure and deployment/recovery systems.
- All component design to be performed using 3D CAD with the design output as 2D drawings.
- Ability to produce hand-calculations to back-up designs & carry out "sanity checks" on FEA results.
- Prepare component specifications and liaise with suppliers on procurement.
- Ensure that all design work is performed as defined within OpenHydro's Quality Management System.
Requirements- Essential Skills / Attributes
- 15+ relevant industrial experience within a Mechanical/Structural engineering design team.
- Experience in designing to established industry codes of practice (e.g. BS, DNV)
- Finite Element Analysis experience & training; preferably Ansys.
- Excellent 3D CAD skills; preferably SolidWorks.
- Enthusiastic, positive and proactive nature.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentational and team working skills.
- Ability to interpret test data and seek innovative solutions for design enhancement.
- Willingness to travel to deployment locations.
- Practical, creative approach to design with an emphasis on simplicity of design, manufacture and operation.
- Commercial awareness and experience of managing/working within budgets.
- Excellent work ethic & flexibility.
- Knowledge of renewable energy systems and design for the marine environment.
For further information on the Senior Structural Engineer please contact Peter Nunan at 01-4744695