Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum helps protect more than 25 million working people and their families in the event of illness or injury. Colonial Life is a member of the Unum family of businesses and is a market leader in benefit solutions, specializing in personal insurance products offered to employees in the workplace.
The ScrumMaster is a servant leader, helping the rest of the Scrum team progress. They remove impediments for the team to support productivity and learning. The ScrumMaster must have a solid understanding of the agile values and principles and the Scrum framework as well as the ability to train others. The ScrumMaster has responsibilities for coaching teams on the implementation of scrum principles and keeps the team moving forward at all times. They work closely with the Product Owner to ensure backlogs and deliveries are prioritized based on business value. They are responsible for building a highly motivated, self organized team that continuously looks to improve their method of delivery.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Guides the scrum team in the understanding and application of the scrum framework with the intention of achieving self organization
- Facilitates epic and sprint level planning ensuring balance between technical and story delivery
- Ensures timely delivery of sprint commitments through the management and removal of the scrum team’s impediments
- Ensures application lifecycle management tool is up to date and reflects the prioritization of the backlog
- Consistently monitors and reports on scrum team metrics, including technical quality continuous integration, burndowns etc.
- Collaborates with the product owner and technical stakeholders to prioritize backlog considering business value and technical debt
- Facilitates sprint retrospectives by providing an environment where candid feedback is welcomed and encourages suggestions from the scrum team members that are targeted towards improving overall team performance.
- Facilitates timely and efficient daily stand-ups
- Responsible for creating an energetic, collaborative and motivated team culture
- Contributes agile and scrum knowledge to help continuously improve the organization-wide adoption and process
- Partners with other Scrum Masters across the organization as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM)
- Working knowledge of Scrum
- Strong planning, organization, communication and negotiation skills
- Experience working with large, small, remote and co-located teams
- Demonstrated experience working with teams and able to balance personal accountability with ensuring team increasingly becomes self-managed
- In-depth understanding of agile values, principles and the Scrum framework.
- Understands fundamentals of iterative & incremental development
- Understands other processes and methodologies and can speak intelligently about them and leverage other techniques to provide value to team and enterprise
- Actively demonstrates and promotes Agile values and practices
- Experience with Microsoft’s Technical Foundation Server (TFS) or a similar Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tool is a plus
- Meets the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management Framework.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to person’s race, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, family status, membership of the travelling community, gender or sexual orientation. Unum offers competitive pay and excellent benefits. Come join us if you’re interested in working in an exciting and challenging environment for a company that is on the move!