Resourcing and Organisational Development Manager - Human Resources - Trinity College Dublin - Permanent
Resourcing and Organisational Development Manager
Human Resources, Trinity College Dublin
House 4, Trinity College Dublin, Main Campus
Competitive Remuneration at a point in line with current Government pay policy
12 Noon on Friday 1st March, 2013
We are seeking to recruit an outstanding HR professional with Organisational Design and Development, Resource planning, and Change management skills and experience. The successful candidate will be a key appointment at senior management level within the Human Resources function. This post arises as a result of a vacancy at the senior management level within HR and the College has reviewed the types of capability that will best complement the existing team.
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, this newly restructured post will be pivotal to the HR function, accelerating the transition from a traditional administrative HR model to a world class 21st century model. The position offers an excellent opportunity for a proactive HR professional to shape the policies and processes that support the management of people in an internationally renowned institution.
Background to the Post
Trinity College has recently embarked on a programme of reform of administrative and support services (the ‘START’ programme), and as part of this programme the Director of HR is leading the development of a HR Strategy for the College. In addition, the HR function has recently (October 2012) undertaken a Quality Review which was carried out by an external review team. Both of these initiatives are significant events in setting out the future roadmap for HR management in College and driving the transition to a new HR model.
Key Areas of Responsibility
The appointee will be an experienced HR generalist with significant management experience and the particular expertise required to deliver the following:
- Design and implement a resource planning approach, including succession planning that delivers the HR capability necessary for the College to achieve its goals
- Oversee the integration of a staff requisition process with best practice job design principles
- Propose and develop strategies to identify, attract and hire top-quality talent for the College
- Provide management information to optimise staff deployment
- Ownership of the recruitment and promotion policy to ensure operational alignment with the strategic requirements of College.
Organisational Design and Development
- Lead the College’s Staff Development activities, having particular regard to leadership and management development, ensuring alignment with performance development and management processes
- Establish talent management programmes that effectively support staff in their professional development, in line with the College’s staffing and operational needs
- Provide expert input in relation to progressive job design and reward structures appropriate to College
- Ensure effective induction and support for newly appointed line managers, particularly for academic staff members assuming leadership positions.
- Provide expertise in change management, reorganisation, and support the implementation of organisational change across the College
- Ensure the application of appropriate strategies and methodologies for College change initiatives
- Bring a future focussed perspective to HR policy development and service delivery
- Influence and work collaboratively with key College stakeholders.
- As a member of the Human Resources Senior Management Team, the post holder will ensure the alignment of his/her function with the College’s HR strategy and implementation plans, whilst contributing to the ongoing review of the College’s HR Strategy
- Manage and implement projects related to his/her areas of skills and expertise
- The appointee may be required to deputise for the Director of HR as appropriate.
- Applicants will have a relevant 3rd level qualification, ideally to post graduate level, in Human Resources, Business, Psychology or a relevant field, and will be a full member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
- Minimum of 10 years proven experience in Human Resources; ideally gained across a variety of organisations, with a minimum of 5 years experience at management level
- Experience in a large and complex organisation is expected, and previous employment in a unionised environment will be an advantage
- A successful track record of working with professional/knowledge employees will be an advantage
- A blend of experience across Organisational Design and Development, Resource planning, and Change management activities.
- A practical appreciation of the challenges faced by a University in the context of ongoing public service reform is required.
In addition, candidates will be expected to have the following skills & competencies:
- Well developed influencing skills, proven ability to relate well to other people in a wide range of contexts and levels; as well as working collaboratively with a range of stakeholders
- Strong organisational and prioritisation skills, with the capability to manage multiple priorities with competing priorities/deadlines
- Excellent analytical skills including attention to detail combined with the skill to communicate concisely with senior colleagues and figures both within and outside the University
- A high level of commitment to the role, with a results focused attitude
- An ability to innovate and apply HR best practice in a University environment
- A commitment to personal learning, and the ability to motivate and develop a team.