Ernst & Young
ROI Health & Safety Manager
ROI Health & Safety Manager
This is a part time role, 3 days per week at a manager level. The successful candidate will be responsible for all H&S related processes, procedures, risk management and compliance.
Your responsibilities as a health & safety manager will include:
The H&S manager in ROI is the qualified individual who has responsibility for ensuring that all the relevant H&S related processes and procedures involving our people are legally compliant and regularly audited.
They are also responsible for investigating, reporting and making recommendations following any incident that has brought, or could have brought, harm to any of the firm's people, contractors or visitors, engaged on the firm's activities. The individual is responsible both to the CMP and the Managing Partner Q&RM. They report directly to the Director of Enterprise Risk who is their counsellor.
The H&S manager is responsible for planning, monitoring and auditing the compliance of the EY Ireland firm and its offices with:
- all relevant health and safety legislation, including fire safety legislation
- the Safety Statement (a legal document)
- all procedures made under the firm’s Safety Statement.
They are responsible for the delivery of the following:
- The annual review of EY Ireland’s health and safety procedures and any further review in the light of any failures and/or changes in statutory legislation.
- Briefings to the EY Ireland Managing Partner and UK Director of Enterprise Risk on health and safety matters including breaches of health and safety legislation.
- Information and advice to Partners and senior management on actions necessary to control risks to employee health and safety and to the firm’s reputation.
- Monthly health and safety reports, which include accident, incident and ill health statistics, are prepared and sent to the UK Director of Enterprise Risk, and to the EY Ireland Managing Partner on a quarterly basis.
- The coordination and production of employee health and safety training that is a legal requirement and that includes manual handling, fire safety, new joiners induction, contractor training, AED training. Maintain records of all training.
- Formal, auditable that ensure all staff and outsourced contractors working on EY premise's follow a 'permit to work' procedure. Advise and support REFM on this matter. Personally review contractors risk assessments and method statements. Review water and air quality monitoring reports for offices and instigate the required action.
- The preparation of annual health and safety budget.
- The design, draft and effective introduction of internal health and safety promotion campaigns.
- Work in conjunction with Risk Management Team in UK firm to ensure continuity in H&S procedures across the UK and Irish firm.
- The management, amendment and updating of content on firm’s internal health and safety webpage.
- Effective liaison with HR, Facilities and IT and other internal shareholders on specific projects eg pandemic planning, business continuity, selection of equipment.
- Handle of sensitive matters with the utmost confidentiality and professionalism.
- The investigation and recording of accidents, incidents and near misses in conjunction with local office staff. Ensure all necessary corrective actions are completed within a suitable timescale including drafting and submitting reports to statutory authorities.
- The undertaking of workplace risk assessments including general, fire and workplace equipment. Quality checking, ensuring all are up to date and remedial works are complete.
- The completion of maternity risk assessments. Make recommendations as necessary and ensure these are completed within an acceptable timescale.
- Ensure all events and away days across the offices comply with the firm's Health and Safety procedures. Advise and support event organisers. Review all Health and Safety documents ensuring they are adequate and all the necessary insurance and safety precautions are in place.
- The management of the Cardinus software system across the offices. Monitor progress and provide one to one coaching to ensure compliance with the Display Screen Equipment Regulations.
- Participate and contribute to the firm’s Business Continuity Plan.
Qualifications/skills you’ll need as a health & safety manager:
- Third level degree in science / engineering with a qualification in occupational health and safety
- Chartered IOSH Membership
- Certified Manual Handling Instructor
- Certified Occupational Fire Aid Instructor
- Competent using Lotus Notes, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Use of various internal reference databases (training will be provided)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (including presentation skills)
- Effective time management
- Work on own initiative
- Ability to influence management
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Team player
- Knowledge sharer
- Ability to work within tight deadlines
- Flexibility to travel