R&D Project Manager
Position: R&D Programme Manager
Reporting to: R&D Manager
Qualification: Technical Degree (or equivalent) - Mechanical/Manufacturing/Electrical Engineering
Location: Greenore, Co. Louth
OpenHydro is a technology business that designs and manufactures marine turbines to generate renewable energy from tidal streams. The company's vision is to deploy farms of tidal turbines under the world's oceans - silently and invisibly generating electricity at no cost to the environment. The electricity produced is completely renewable since it relies on tides that are created by the gravitational effect of the sun and moon. For more information visit www.openhydro.com.
Scope of Position:
Reporting to the R&D Manager, this position will manage the program for all R&D activities within OpenHydro. All R&D projects will be managed within the guidelines of the approved project management processes within OpenHydro.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Preparation and management of the annual R&D budget.
- Responsible for providing concepts, options and selection criteria for R&D projects during the Value Identification Phase. This includes the provision of a basis for design, a programme, a budget, a risk assessment and an execution strategy for all proposed R&D projects.
- Responsible for providing an execution plan for the Value Realisation Phase of our approved R&D projects, including the provision of key milestone definitions and review criteria, as well as the selection and management of contractors and contract organisations undertaking work on the projects
- Monthly reporting on budgets and programme progress and the provision of regular reports to the R&D Steering Group, as required.
- Integration of R&D activities, where appropriate, with other OpenHydro departments, for example Engineering, Projects, Quality, Procurement, etc.
- Role includes taking a lead role in the management of all aspects of our R&D projects, including being the lead point of contact for the finance team in the support of grant applications, liaising with various external bodies such as universities and grant agencies and other Stakeholders as required. .
- Ensuring that all Health and Safety procedures are followed in accordance with company policies.
- Ensure that all work is performed as defined within OpenHydro's Management System (OHMS)
Essential Skills & Attributes
- Minimum of 10 years experience, the last 2 of which are in a R&D project management background.
- Previous experience of working with recognised project management and financial reporting tools.
- Experience of having worked with organisations from design concept stage through to project delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with internal stakeholders in the realisation of projects, with the drive to overcome project difficulties and barriers in a proactive, consultative manner.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well within a small team.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Willingness to travel to deployment locations.
- Practical approach to work.
- Experience of the renewables sector.
- Previous experience of managing large offshore marine projects.