Part time Occupational Therapist
Fixed Term Contract
UPMC Beacon Hospital
Allied Therapy Manager
22 February 2013
Overall Purpose of Job
To help people with mental, physical or social disabilities and create individual treatment programmes to help people carry out their daily tasks and to do so with more confidence and independence while providing exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Deliver an effective and efficient ward Occupational Therapy Service based on assessment of needs.
- Administer the highest quality of service by identifying and implementing operational procedures in line with best practice standards.
- Keep abreast with new developments, skills and technology inUPMCBeaconHospital, to ensure continuing competence in the job.
- To create and promote good working relationships through open communication with all other medical and Allied Health Professionals
- To maintain appropriate records and statistics sufficient for organisational and legal purposes to include work related injuries/incidents.
- To regularly review and aid the seniors in updating the OT guideline and protocol documents.
- To be professional, dedicated and punctual at all times.
- To encourage professional development of all team members through promotion of self-learning, formal courses and in-service training.
- The hours of work are at the discretion of the Allied Therapy Manager and in line with service needs.
Candidates must hold a degree in Occupational Therapy or an equivalent qualification and be a member of the AOTI.
- Candidates must have clinical experience working in a hospital setting.
- One years experience is desirable but not essential.
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
Please see job specific competencies per OT inpatient rotation.
Assessment, Clinical Reasoning and Documentation
- Demonstrates ability to complete a subjective assessment of patient and their condition, including :-
a) Patient’s perceptions of their needs
b) Precautions to treatment
- Demonstrates choice of appropriate treatment intervention through sound clinical reasoning.
- Recognises own limitations in clinical judgement and consults with other more experienced clinicians.
- Adheres to departmental assessment templates.
- Utilises references to expand knowledge of assessment tools.
- Adheres to documentation protocol.
- Collects basic data accurately and precisely using medical chart.
- Keeps accurate statistical records electronically.
- Writes progress reports to primary source of referral in a timely manner
- Recognises limits in clinical -- Judgement and seeks multi-disciplinary collaboration.
- Appropriately utilises post-op protocols.
- All posts inUPMCBeaconHospitalrequire a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.
Job Description received by employee: ________________________________ ___________________