Ernst & Young
Internal Audit Manager – Belfast/Ireland
Internal Audit Manager – Belfast/Ireland
Ernst & Young
Ernst & Young's people in 140 countries around the globe pursue the highest levels of integrity, quality and professionalism to provide clients with solutions based on financial, transactional and risk management knowledge in its core services of audit, tax and transaction advisory services.
The Irish Advisory Risk Group, based in Belfast, Dublin and Cork, consists of 50 professionals providing business risk services to clients in the industrial, commercial and technological markets. Clients include large Multinational companies, large and medium-sized indigenous companies, semi-state organisations and Government. Our work is varied and includes the following service lines:
- Enterprise risk management
- Functional performance assessments
- Internal audit and internal control
- Revenue assurance
- Controls transformation
- Financial reporting procedures
In addition we work with our clients in anti-fraud projects and process improvement assignments.
This is a great opportunity for a Qualified Accountant in practice. This role will give you exposure to some of Ernst & Young's largest and most dynamic clients as well as offer you significant opportunity for career progression. Our teams work in Ireland, throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Globally on complex and stretching assignments. Their experience with us gives them a sound understanding of business processes and risks that prepares them for a successful career within our growing business or in industry. We are a growing practice and our teams will have opportunities to help us grow further through participating in marketing and business development activities.
We have a very strong learning culture supported by leading edge training resources. We take the development of our people very seriously. You will be allocated a dedicated counsellor who will help you evaluate your options for learning, progression and specialisation within our practice.
We aim to provide a supportive and inclusive environment in which people from diverse backgrounds can work and succeed. We believe we have a friendly and welcoming team and we provide and encourage team social events to support networking and build up team spirit.
Your responsibilities as an Audit Manager will include:
- Gaining business and process understanding of our clients through interviews, process mapping and data analysis.
- Develop and execute risk-based test programmes for key business processes.
- Undertaking transactional and analytical tests and benchmarking of processes and controls.
- Preparing project documentation for review in accordance with relevant methodologies and the firm's quality control standards.
- Identifying and presenting relevant business and control issues to client management
- Preparing draft reports in compliance with the Firm’s quality standards
- Managing self and team to predefined timelines and budget
- Prepare documentation for review on a timely basis
- Monitor, coach and develop junior colleagues and serve as a positive role model
- Ability to conduct a full range of assignment activities (e.g. plan and execute work plans, supervise and coach junior staff).
- Present a professional and positive impression of the firm with clients at all times
- Understand and adjust to clients' culture and working methods.
Qualifications/skills you’ll need as an Internal Audit Manager:
- Strong experience of internal audit/ internal control, in both financial and operational processes.
- An accountancy qualification.
- Experience working in Big 4, global management consultancy firm or Blue Chip organization
- Knowledge and experience in Northern Ireland market, particularly Government, large corporate, banking (both major foreign and Irish multinational) with an appropriate internal audit or consulting background, a track record of project delivery and ability to build relationships with business/client management.
- Experience in applying accounting standards (specifically IFRS and/or US GAAP) and other professional standards (including Government Internal Audit Standards and IIA InternationalStandards).
- A sound understanding of Business Processes and Risk Management.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrable experience in leading and managing teams.
- Willingness and ability to travel within Ireland, UK and EMEIA.
Particularly interested in experience in the following sectors:
- Government and Public Sector, including policing and universities
- Power & Utilities
- Technology, Communications & Entertainment
- Consumer Products
Other sectors of interest include:
- A track record of managing and delivering internal controls and internal audit projects or reviews that meets or exceeds expectations, offers real insight to client's (internal and external) on their business and adds real value to business performance
- Good appreciation of a business benefits of internal control and good risk management and not just for compliance purposes (i.e. not limited to SOX).
- An ability to utilise core risk and controls skills in a broad range of projects both in a traditional internal audit and in advisory projects aimed at assisting in the implementation of controls / improvements.
- Professional, quickly establishes personal credibility and demonstrates expertise.
- Structures and manages projects or programmes of work which meet client expectations and mitigate any risks or issues.
- Within client assignments, analyses complex problems and is able to deliver insightful and practical solutions. Practical approach to solving issues and gaining client agreement. Influences and persuades clients and stakeholder to gain support for major changes and key decisions.
- Focuses on achieving project / programme goals and objectives. Overcomes issues and barriers.
- Facilitates and encourages collaboration amongst team members. And is capable of motivating teams to maximising performance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including report writing.
- Process design and business change projects
Additional preferred skills :
- A good understanding of and demonstrate experience in one or more of the areas listed:
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Process Mapping, process improvement, data collection for analysis and interviewing clients.
- Knowledge of ERP systems and how they are utilised to support business process and control.
Ernst & Young, an equal opportunities employer, values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people.