Health Care Assistant - Fixed Term Contract. Full time hours
Closing Date - 15th February 2013
EDUCATION : Fetac Level 5 Essential
WORKING HOURS: 39 hours per week
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To contribute to the Department team, carrying out assigned activities which will assist in the efficient running of the workplace and a high standard of patient and family cantered care. This will be done under the supervision of a qualified member of Department staff.
Level of Knowledge or skills
- Evidence of education to Leaving Certificate or equivalent - mature applicants with life experience will be welcomed for consideration.
- Candidates must have a caring nature, be able to communicate well and possess a friendly approachable attitude.
- The ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team is essential.
- The ability to demonstrate imitative and be prepared to work both with close supervision and independently.
- To carry out all activities appropriate to the post as directed by the CNM /Manager in charge
- Demonstrate a flexible approach to work routine.
- To work in a manner which contributes to the smooth running of the Department/Ward as well as the well being of the patients and their visitors.
- To contribute to the maintenance of good relationships, communication and teamwork with all disciplines.
- To maintain confidentiality at all times.
- To be aware of the responsibility of all employees to maintain a safe and healthy environment for patients and staff
- To adhere to the policies and procedures of the hospital at all times
- To be responsible for materials and equipment associated with the Healthcare Assistants responsibilities
- Patient related:
- Daily preparation of patient areas, cleaning down between cases
- Escort patients and or parents to other departments as directed
- Dealing with spillages
- Supervision of children /babies as required
- Support and assist parents and children as directed by the ward/department manager
- Assist department staff with basic patient care as deemed appropriate by the area manager
2. Department Related
- Daily stocking, ordering and stock rotation of materials and equipment and supplies
- All patient areas and equipment to be cleaned and signed off in accordance with Hospital hygiene frequencies schedules.
- Management and maintenance of patient areas.
- Preparation of all procedure rooms each morning.
- Terminal cleaning of the lab after each case.
- Dealing with spillages
- Collecting of blood and blood products. Haemovigillance lecture to be attended annually.
3. Department Administration
- Answer telephone and be familiar with all aspects of the telephone and bleep answering system.
- Be familiar with computer system
- Assist with clerical duties as necessary to include inputting information on computer, assisting with medical records and filing.
- Participate in the orientation and training of new Healthcare Assistants
- Liaise with other disciplines in the hospital in relation to maintenance of equipment, reporting breakages etc.
- Errands on and off the ward
- To undertake any reasonable duties, required by the Ward/Department Manager.
- To cover for colleagues in the event of unforeseen staff shortages among the Healthcare assistants staff.
- Be familiar with hospital policies as outlined on commencement of employment.
- To wear correct I.D. badge at all times
- Comply with Hospital uniform policy. The maintenance of a high standard of personal appearance is essential.
- To be responsible for monitoring and updating of all mandatory lectures. These include Haemovigillance, Fire lecture, Handling and lifting, occupational blood exposure, and infection control.
- To follow correct hospital procedure in the event of sick leave/absence from work
Liaise with Partnership Co-ordinator andPartnership Committee
- Participate fully with the hospital’sAccreditationProgramme and the “Hospital Watch Programme”.
- To adhere to Department and all Hospital policies at all times.
- To embrace and support any changes in technology and to assist in the implementation and operation of these changes.
- To perform suchother duties appropriate to the post as may be assigned from time to time by the Manager or a nominee.
Arrangements have been introduced, on a national level, for the provision of Garda Clearance in respect of candidates for employment in areas of the Health Services, where it is envisaged that potential employees would have substantial access to children or vulnerable individuals.
Therefore each candidate shall be required to complete and sign Form A enclosed and return it with their completed application form for the post.
This job description contains guidelines to assist you in the performance of your contract. These Guidelines are not a term or condition of contract and may, following discussion, be changed in accordance with the service provision in your area.