Group Head of Global Projects, Mid Ulster, ££Neg
Group Head of Global Projects
Reporting to: Engineering Director
This is a Senior Appointment and the salary will reflect this and will be depending on experience and what you bring to the role.
Vickerstock is working for a large, established Engineering / Manufacturing firm in the Mid Ulster area who have the requirement for a professional and strategic Group Head of Global Projects. The company thrives in an environment where people are genuinely empowered to lead and deliver highly strategic and innovative projects. The role is working collaboratively with all other parts of the business and will be responsible for establishing and running the Project Management Office with the objective of ensuring all projects are delivered in line with best practice and within the agreed scope, time, cost and quality.
The role will require travel given the global profile of the company.
The Group Head of Global Projects will be responsible for the following duties within the role:
Overseeing the full portfolio of company projects, providing expert knowledge and support to a growing team of Project Managers, monitoring progress and reporting on the portfolio status. There are typically 80 - 100 projects running at any one time to a value of £50M - £100M.
You will work to ensure that all projects are consistently delivered in line with the project scope and agreed plans whilst ensuring effective communication and relationships between the customer and Project Management team members are maintained.
You will be required to be hands-on with customers and manage large scale strategic projects directly, however the focus of the role is creating, teaching and maintaining project delivery best practice while growing their project management team. You will advise, mentor and grow the team, develop and report on departmental goals and focus relentlessly on impressing our customers.
- Oversee the work of the Project Management Team and provide guidance on more complex projects
- Chair bi-weekly project review meetings with all project managers and Head of Functions present
- Define project management standards for project documentation, planning, communication and estimating based on best practice
- Identify and coordinate new project management system developments and/or enhancements and ensure that they are acted on promptly
- Develop all project management documentation including PIDs, Project Plans, etc. to ensure that they are reflective of best practice
- Assign, schedule, develop, review and monitor project work to ensure that progress is within expected plan and is completed on time and within budget
- Mentor and provide expertise to other project team members with the aim of developing a world class project management team
- Work to identify the roles of the Project Management team, project reporting structures, frequency of interaction and any training requirements that may be needed for a team member to complete a project successfully
- Identify, track, monitor and communicate project-related issues, scope changes, variances and contingencies that may arise during the implementation of a project and report this regularly to the Engineering Director
- Maintain effective communication and working relationships with customers and project team members
- Produce departmental reports for regular distribution to the Board & wider Leadership Team and Department Heads
- Identify and document opportunities to combine systems and resources to fulfill project requirements
- Organize and conduct regular project team meetings
- Maintain current working knowledge of project management best practice
- To adhere to company policy and practice
- To carry out any other duties within reason and capability associated with this role.
The Group Head of Global Projects must be able to demonstrate the following:
The successful candidate will have:
- A minimum of ten years' experience in a project management role
- A minimum of five years' team leading experience
- A degree or equivalent experience
- A professional qualification in project management such as Prince2 or similar
- Proven experience in driving large, complex projects to completion within project targets
- Proven track record of managing and developing teams, ideally teams of project managers
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to interact effectively and professionally with individuals at all levels; both internally and externally
- The ability to exercise sound judgment in responding to enquiries
- Strong self-motivation with exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- The ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously within inflexible time frames.
- The ability to adapt to frequent priority changes
Contact Hugh Nugent to discuss this, or other similar job opportunities in absolute confidence on 028 9031 3720, or send an updated CV via the link on the page.