Design, PCB layout, embedded programming, PC end communication at end (probably small to medium) Masters or PhD directly + 3-5 years.
A position has become available in a small Laboratory Instrumentation early stage company for an electronic engineer. Seeking an experienced electronic engineer. The person recruited will be developing hardware and embedded software including:
- Embedded electronics which communicates with a PC via serial/USB/ethernet
- Embedded C code running on an embedded microprocessor
- Electronics for a high precision Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) application
- Developing hardware to drive stepper or servo motors
You will be working as part of a small motivated team and will be one of the key contributors to the company’s continued success.
The individual will need to self-motivated, dynamic, have a good work ethic, be flexible in terms of assigned tasks and be able to work both independently and as part of team. The position has the potential to be filled by an electronic engineer (bachelors or masters or PhD level) with a number of years’ experience.
The position is located in Cork City suburbs. Salary commensurate with experience.
Duties and responsibilities:
Tasks and duties will include:
- Redesign of existing embedded hardware e.g. adding additional features/functionality and optimisation of existing features/functionality
- Expansion and adaption of existing embedded C code running on a microcontroller
- Development of drivers and embedded software for stepper or servo motors
- Development of various prototype hardware/software for R&D projects
- Responsible for the design, coding, unit testing and documentation of new hardware/software or enhancements to existing hardware/software
- Development of low voltage drivers for PWM outputs
- Project management
- Working with customers
- Working with other team members
- Sourcing of components, sub-suppliers / contractors
- Management of sub-suppliers / contractors
- Development of various prototype for R&D projects
- Able to travel abroad for short trips to customer sites or exhibitions
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- Proficient in basic analogue and digital design implementation
- Proficient in embedded C for microcontrollers and experience in programming microcontrollers
- The flexibility to be able to learn new approaches to implementing hardware / embedded software and understand / adapt / expand existing hardware / software
- Experience in circuit design / PCB layout and manufacture
- Experience in one or more of the following: data analysis tools; circuit design / simulation tools; motor drivers; LED drivers; specifying systems; writing documentation; managing sub-contractors / suppliers; interacting with customers
- Flexible and agile in being able to respond to customer driven requirements
- Able to design systems for small or large scale manufacture
- Proficient in desktop applications e.g. word, excel, powerpoint, etc.
- Good communication skills
Some or all the following would be an advantage:
- Experience in designing and building embedded microcontroller based systems
- Experience in communication from a PC to an embedded microcontroller in order to control robotics
- A basic understanding of controlling robotics
- An aptitude for physics
- An ability to learn/understand the basics of other subjects such as biology/chemistry e.g. DNA amplification, protein/antibody reactions
- Personable and able to communicate with customers
- An appreciation of mechanics / mechatronic systems
- A basic understanding of machine vision/optics e.g. cameras / lenses / illumination / image processing
- An appreciation of a quality system e.g. ISO 9001, ISO13485 and able to work to a quality system
- Full driving licence
For a confidential discussion and more information on the role, please contact Eloísa Ruiz on 021 4911066 or email
For more information on our Recruitment and HR Services and to see a full list of our available jobs across Ireland, please visit our website www.collinsmcnicholas.ie
Follow us on LinkedIn and connect with our Recruitment Consultants to discuss the latest jobs, our job searching tips & videos!