Eurofins Cork is an analytical testing facility to help make food safe for consumption. We are inviting candidates to join our dynamic team as a Development Chemist.
The development chemist will drive the technical development of the Food and Dairy Chemistry and Environmental Laboratories in Cork and will provide technical advice, support and expertise to Sales and Operations teams as well as to customers. The role will include selection, development and validation of equipment and test methods to meet customer requirements and in accordance with ISO1702, INAB requirements and other regulatory standards.
The sucessfull candidate will provide technical leadership, training, supervision and support to laboratory departments in delivering technically valid results in a timely manner. They will proactively assist management with technical and operational development to ensure both business objectives and customer requirements are consistently delivered.
- Lead and manage a continuous improvement and technical review programme to develop testing services to ensure best practice and to meet current and future industry and legal obligations.
- Evaluate new techniques, methods and instrumentation and prepare proposals for potential capital investment and process improvement projects to assist in strategic planning.
- Lead and proactively manage method validations to meet INAB/ISO17025 and customer requirements.
- Manage projects from inception to rollout for routine use including training relevant staff.
- Provide technical, project management and reporting support for retailer projects.
- Exercise a sound commercial and financial awareness to help reduce expenditure and maintain costs within the required budget requirements.
- Work with the Cork management team to develop and exceed key performance indicators, deliver budget and growth strategy for the site.
- Proactively assist with and propose innovative solutions to support the ongoing technical and operational development of the department to ensure the consistent delivery of excellent standards of service to customers by operating the laboratory in the most professional, efficient and cost effective manner while maintaining highest standards of quality and health and safety.
- Analyse data including application of statistical analysis tools. Write and review validation protocols and reports.
- Support QA Department with SOP and test method review and performing internal audits.Supporting the timely investigation of customer complaints, queries and other sources of non-conforming work.
- Provide a high level of customer service and maintain working knowledge of relevant legislation, industry standards and trends.
- Acting as an Authorised Signatory for Test Certificates where required, report all results in a format required by the customer, providing relevant technical support as appropriate.
- Have an active role is developing the capability and range of testing provided by the Laboratory to support profitable growth.
- Uphold client confidence in the accuracy and response times of testing.
- Assist with customer projects and support key account management activities where required.
- Represent Eurofins at external technical meetings as appropriate.
- Any other duties deemed applicable and required to support the effective operations of the business and the implementation of the quality management system.
- Complying with all aspects of Eurofins H&S policy.
- Uphold and maintain confidentiality at all times.
Education / Experience
What we are looking for
- Degree / Masters level qualification or equivalent in Analytical Chemistry, Food Science or other relevant subject.
- Record of ongoing professional development with membership of a relevant professional body.
- Extensive practical analytical chemistry and instrumentation experience (>3 years) ideally in a high volume contract laboratory or food industry is preferable.
- Good working knowledge of contract testing laboratory activities as relevant to the food, dairy, water and environmental sectors.
- Very strong technical, troubleshooting, report writing and statistical skills would be an advantage.
Who we are looking for:
- Highly motivated, professional and enthusiastic individual who can work well within a busy multi-disciplinary technical environment as well as under their own initiative.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, organise and co-ordinate both your own workload.
- Skills to influence others to achieve common goals for the benefit of our customers.
- Confident approach with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to form strong working relationships with colleagues, regulators and customers.