Business Development Manager
Vacancy No: IN EX18 010
Job Title: Business Development, Strategy & Regulation Manager
Business Unit: Innovation
Job Type: Permanent, full-time
Established in 2010, ESB ecars installs, operate and manage the publicly available electric vehicle charging infrastructure in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, providing full end to end services to circa 4,00 EV drivers. Underpinned by strong policy drivers, the electromobility industry is now growing rapidly with the number of EVs in Europe growing from less than 10,000 in 2010 to over 600,000 by the end of 2016 and leading the electrification of transport has been identified as a key pillar of ESB's Brighter Future strategy.
Within this context, the ESB ecars Business Development team is responsible for sourcing and securing commercial and investment opportunities for the ESB ecars team. Given market scale and growth, the main focus of this effort is in Britain - but given policy and regulatory drivers, there will also likely be an increasing number of opportunities in Ireland.
The successful candidate will lead the ecars Business Development Team, reporting directly to the Head of ESB ecars. Primary responsibilities will include, amongst other duties:
- To lead ESB ecars' business development for the commercialisation of an electromobility business in Great Britain and Ireland, working directly as a member of the ESB ecars leadership team and with other key internal and external stakeholders.
- To establish and grow ESB relationships with the major Global and European players in the fast emerging electromobility industry including International Car Manufacturers, Government Agencies, Fuel/Energy Suppliers and large-scale site owners.
- In support of the above goal, leverage on existing ESB ecars structures and achievements to build and expand the business development capability (e.g. bidding and tendering, site acquisition, Car OEM relationships and partnering) to achieve industry-leading level of excellence. In addition, serve as the key relationship owner for ESB ecars relationships with potential clients, partners and other stakeholders.
- Strong communications, stakeholder and leadership skills are central to the role. Sample tasks will include the following:
- Identifying and develop strong working relationships with key external clients and partners up to Executive Level across Britain, Ireland and Europe. To ensure ESB ecars are aware of market developments and that relationships are developed to capture emerging opportunities. This network will include senior stakeholders in the Automotive industry, Site Location Owners, Local and National Governments, Energy Industry and other key influencers.
- Leading internal and external technical presentations on electromobility with a particular focus on ESB ecars' capabilities. Represent and promote the work that ESB ecars is doing with a focus on strategy, other markets, Business Development, commercial opportunities and competition.
- Working closely with Commercial and Finance colleagues to originate and negotiate innovative business arrangements that deliver value for ESB. Act as the primary lead for identifying and prioritizing those business development opportunities that will deliver the greatest long-term commercial and strategic value for ESB.
- Manage and expand the business development team - including scoping, identifying and adding capability in key areas (e.g. bidding/tendering, Site Acquisition, Car OEM Partnerships). Ensure that the Business Delivery team works effectively to create and deliver a pipeline of opportunities sufficient to underpin an ESB electromobility business of scale.
- Oversee the identification, analysis and prioritisation of potential tender opportunities from a technical and business perspective. Manage the submissions for all PQQs, tenders and bids to ensure that ESB ecars are best positioned to win identified (and green-lighted) opportunities that arise in the market place.
- Given the nature of Business Development work especially, timelines can be short and unpredictable, an ability to work under pressure while producing high standards of work is key to this role. Must be able to adhere to and deliver against deadlines. This is imperative to smooth delivery of the technical aspects of PQQs, bids and tenders.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications, experience and skills:
- Minimum 10-15 years' experience in business development or closely-related field.
- Demonstrate excellent communication, stakeholder and people skills
- Commitment to take on a challenging role with its inherent demands and requirement for personal development
- Proven track record in managing business development teams
- Ability to write a good standard of documentation and presentations for use in a sales and tendering arena
- Experience with tendering responses and processes
- Experience in a B2B sales/BD in international markets and with large leading global clients preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with public sector and other procurement processes.
- Experience and knowledge of closely related fields (e.g. energy utilities, site/land acquisition, Automotive, Retail)
- Either 3rd Level qualification or equivalent work experience is essential
- Formal training and professional qualifications in the area of sales and business development
Head office based, Gateway, Dublin 3
Extensive Travel will be required to the United Kingdom and other potential markets within Europe for Business Development activities, client meetings, conferences, trade fairs, external training.
Closing date for applications is the 31st January 2018.
Note: Please advise if you have special needs and require any accommodations to
assist you if you are called to attend at interview.
ESB is an Equal Opportunity Employer