Overall Purpose of the Job
The Maintenance Engineer increases the efficiency and improvement of the process and utility equipment in support of manufacturing requirements for dependability, quality, safety, environmental and costs. This individual will work closely with the Technical Services Group along with all levels of operations and quality to identify and prioritize equipment issues. The maintenance engineer will analyse equipment issues and identify the actions needed to improve equipment reliability. These actions will be some combination of equipment design, installation, operation, and servicing.
Management of Engineering Projects to drive efficiencies and optimum process results including analytical methodologies, predictive technologies, and best practices for equipment design, results installation, operation, and servicing.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Project Management: Identify, analyse and oversee process and system replacements, changes and upgrades with a view to optimizing system integration and optimization to ensure reliability and robustness of the systems.
- Work with the reliability engineer on actions resulting from the 3 month maintenance reviews to identify and implement systemic corrective actions.
- Support the SE2 effluent discharge process and investigate any issues which may affect the simplex powder process.
- Provide support to system and process upgrades when necessary e.g. supporting the main electrical distribution system across the facility.
- Identify and manage system and process control replacement projects.
- Support the Subject matter expert for all process and systems relating to the Simplex Powder process.
- Provide PLC process expertise and ensure parameter and PLC backups are carried, maintained and reviewed.
- Support downtime issues as necessary and in particular within simplex manufacturing process.
- Ensure Maintenance Critical process is adhered to and reports issued to production
- Collect and interpret data from various sources to determine the significant contributors of maintenance downtime
- Analyse RCA investigations for equipment failure including equipment design and installation, operation of the equipment (by people and by automation), servicing issues, along with raw materials and spare parts issues. Determine appropriate countermeasures, document, and issue a formal RFA. Assist and coordinate with the implementation of the approved countermeasures.
- Support design engineering for the selection and installation of equipment for optimum reliability, availability, and maintainability.
- Assist Process Engineers with determining causes of performance degradation of equipment.
- Analyse and provide input and feedback regarding system and process changes to allow for relevant changes to the Asset Register and Asset strategy.
- Responsible for ensuring the correct application of predictive maintenance technologies across the site. This includes proper equipment coverage, assisting with interpretation of data, and assisting the Process Engineer for planning corrective actions when needed.
- Determine equipment criticality based on business requirements around quality, health and safety, mechanical integrity, manufacturing capacity and financial impact. Ensure proper equipment criticality ranking is maintained in the CMMS.
- Help determine spare parts identification and stocking strategy
- Seek and implement new technologies to enhance equipment performance and monitoring.
- Maintain and review Preventive Maintenance Plans and Procedures for operations maintenance.
- Ensure Quality compliance for all in house and contract maintenance activities.
- Develop and Implement Continuous Improvement activities to support Lean initiatives, cost reduction, and maintenance excellence.
- Assist with the Identification and Implementation of training requirements.
- Assist with Facilities maintenance activities as necessary.
- Take on adhoc duties and other related tasks as assigned by line manager or authorized representative.