Nazareth House requires nurses for both Ballymote community Nursing Unit and Sligo Church Hill Nursing Home this is an excellent opportunity for a Nurse to join a not for profit organisation.
Details of Service:
The Nazareth Nursing Home is a HIQA registered 70-bedded voluntary not for profit nursing home providing the following services:
- Continuing Care
- Palliative Care.
The Ballymote Community Nursing Unit is a HIQA registered 24 bedded unit. This unit provides the following services:
- Palliative Care
- Day Care Services
Both of the units are surrounded by independent living units for the elderly at the Nazareth there are 48x1 bedroomed units and in Ballymote there are 28x1-2 bedroomed units.
Reports to Clinical Nurse Manager and/or Director of Nursing
Purpose of the post:
- To provide nursing care in accordance with best practice in accordance with NHMLtd policies, An Bord Altranais Guidance and the code of professional conduct for Nurses
- To ensure that all work is client focused and upholds the principles of choice, respect, dignity, privacy, independence and fulfilment
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- To be professionally accountable for providing acceptable standards of care for in accordance with NHMLtd policies and the code of professional conduct.
- To ensure that all work is client focused and upholds the principles of choice, respect, dignity, privacy, independence and fulfilment.
- To promote the independence of the client through their inclusion and involvement in all aspects of daily living through the assessment planning, implementation and evaluation of care plans on a three monthly basis with the resident and their circle of support
- To promote and respect the inclusion of the resident in the decision making process.
- To contribute to the development of standards of care.
- To ensure that care staff carry out duties as assigned to the highest standard by supporting, guiding and instructing when required
- To supervise and develop staff skills by delegation and leadership through example.
- To engage all residents in healthy living choices
- To maintain and nurture links with the client’s family, friends and community.
- To ensure that all operational policies/procedures and guidelines are implemented and understood.
- To conduct nursing assessments as indicated, using evidence-based models and practices.
- To identify nursing priorities and to develop, implement and evaluate nursing care plans as required in a client-centred framework.
- To ensure the effective and efficient use of all resources.
- To work closely with the MDT to achieve optimal input for the client and to follow the recommendations of the MDT members.
- To ensure medications are ordered, stored and administered in accordance with An Bord Altranais guidelines
- To participate in further education and/or in-service training to keep competencies updated.
- To act as preceptor for undergraduate students and as mentor for newly qualified staff nurses.
- To support and ensure clinical environment is conducive to the learning experiences of students.
- To carry out other duties as may be assigned by the CNM
- Be registered or due to be placed on the Register of Nurses maintained by An Bord Altranais. /Nursing and Midwifery board
Essential skills, competencies and/or knowledge
- Good clinical nursing practice .
- Knowledge of approaches to nursing care, through use of evidence based practice and use of nursing research.
- Of the organisation
- Local Service
- Health Policy, Procedures & Guidelines
- Reporting arrangements
- Knowledge of organisation of and developments in health services in general and Older Persons Services in particular.
- Awareness of goals and standards and trends nationally and internationally.
- Knowledge of new advances in nursing care and delivery and management of services.
- Knowledge of nurse training programs.
- Full understanding of HIQA and the Standards as they are applied to residential units for Older Persons
- Knowledge of the Heath Act (Care and Welfare of Residents in Designated Centres for Older People) Regulations 2009
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Skills in teaching/training for both clients and students
- Ability to organise their own work, set clear goals and ensure delivery.
- Ability to work autonomously and under direction.
- Flexibility and an ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Excellent IT and Health Care technology skills, ie send and receive e-mails, research equipment, health conditions, scan documents, type notices posters, use Microsoft Excel to type rosters etc.
- Good self-awareness.
- Caring, kind and approachable
- Ability to manage the roster and the unit in the absence of the CNM
- Show enthusiasm and career commitment.
- Display an interest in their professional and personal development.
- Set a professional standard and act as a role model for others.
Flexibility to work different rotas at either site at the Nazareth Nursing Home or the Ballymote Community Nursing Unit if required, including shift-work day or night duty, depending on the needs of the residents.
Each candidate must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to this position. They must be in a state of health such as would indicate through regular and efficient service with excellent attendance levels