Element Six

Element Six

Element Six (E6) is a subsidiary of De Beers and the world’s leading manufacturer and supplier of industrial Diamond supermaterials. Element Six operates globally with its primary manufacturing facilities in Ireland, South Africa, China, Germany,  Sweden and the UK.
For over 50 years, the core business has remained the synthesis and processing of industrial Diamond supermaterials, a term which includes synthetic diamond and other materials with similar properties such as Silicon Carbide Diamond and Cubic Boron Nitride (CBN).  While Diamond is well known as the planet’s hardest known material it has many extreme properties and is one of the most useful and remarkable materials. It is from carbon therefore, the sixth element of the periodic table, that the business takes its name: Element Six.

Element Six’s Mission is to deliver extreme performance for end users through innovative Diamond solutions.  E6 focuses on close strategic development partnerships with customers to deliver customised, innovative high performance products.  The business consistently strives to provide excellent customer service and continuous productivity enhancement.

Element Six is made up of two businesses; Technologies, which is 100% owned by De Beers, and Abrasives, which is 60% owned by De Beers with Umicore, a major global materials group, owning the remaining 40%.

The Abrasives business encompasses our Oil & Gas, Advanced Materials and Hard Materials Divisions.  Abrasives manufactures Diamond using high pressure high temperature (HPHT) synthesis and Tungsten Carbide for use in applications including cutting, grinding, drilling, shearing and polishing.  This has driven demand in industrial sectors as diverse as automotive, aerospace, oil & gas drilling, mining, electronics, road restoration, construction and wood-working.

The Technologies business utilises the extreme properties of diamond beyond hardness, through manufacturing very pure industrial diamond using chemical vapour deposition (CVD) techniques.  These properties are opening up potential applications, in a wide array of industries such as optics, power transmission, water treatment, semi-conductors and sensors.  Through this technology, Diamond usage will enter an exciting era of future growth in the coming decades.  Building on the future potential of CVD diamond, Element Six has created a Ventures unit currently with seven investments pursuing new applications.

More information can be obtained on www.e6.com .

Email Me Jobs From This Recruiter
Overall rating
Based on 1 review
  • Office & Transport links
  • Culture & people
  • Training & development
  • Work/Life balance
  • Career progression

Read reviews


Element Six reviews


Anonymous in Shannon, Ireland
current employee in Jan. 2016

The Best Bits

Team Effort support and good all out Management..nice people to work with comfort and well organised place.

Things to improve

Edm area layout area itself could be more ventilated abit small for amount of nc machines

Was this review helpful?

Please describe the problem with this review.



Since joining Element Six, I have been made to feel welcome by a diverse range of people across the globe. I have been most impressed by the 'creative passion' that drives the human asset. For me, 'passion' is one critical value - amongst others - that gives a distinctive competitive edge to Element Six.
Fazoe Gumede, Senior HR Manager, Oil & Gas
As a trained scientist, working with synthetic diamond is both a stimulating and rewarding experience. I relish the opportunity to work with this supermaterial, to understand synthetic diamond's unique properties that could help push the boundaries of science and potentially change the world we live in.
Harpreet Dhillon, Assistant Research Scientist, Innovations
Synthetic diamond plays a critical role in many of the technologies and products that we enjoy today. In our efforts to continually improve our materials and meet the changing needs of industry and society, we relentlessly push the boundaries of diamond synthesis technology. To be at the forefront of synthetic diamond and the associated end-user industries as part of a hugely committed team of scientists and technicians is extremely rewarding and exciting.
Dr. John Barry, Innovation Manager, Advanced Materials
It was great to manage the opening of our new Shanghai office, and I am now looking to maximise the opportunities for us in China.
Richard Ding, Business Development Manager, China
Advertise with Us

We use cookies to customise our website for you, giving you the best possible user experience. If you continue without changing your settings, we’ll assume that you are happy to receive this personalisation. Find out more about our cookie policy

Accept & Close